Moving to a new city or country is an exciting time filled with anticipation and uncertainty. But if you’ve chosen to move to a good place like Bettendorf, Iowa -you’re in luck! This quaint yet vibrant Midwestern town offers its residents plenty of amenities, activities, and more.
From world-class golf courses and stunning lakeside parks to unique shops and neighborhood cafes that call the area home—there’s never a shortage of things for newcomers (and long-timers!) alike to explore.
To make sure your transition into life in your new abode goes as smoothly as possible, we’ve put together the ultimate guide on moving to Bettendorf: from tips on finding the perfect place to live, getting settled with local amenities like utilities, schools, grocery stores, and transport links—everything you need all in one convenient spot!
Getting to Know Bettendorf, IA, and Why You Should Love it Here
A Brief History of Bettendorf IA
Located in Scott County along the Mississippi River, Bettendorf is strategically positioned at the heart of the Quad Cities, a thriving metropolitan area that comprises Bettendorf, Davenport, Moline, East Moline, and Rock Island. With five cities in close proximity, Bettendorf residents have access to a diverse range of amenities, activities, and more.
Bettendorf, Iowa, has a rich history that began in the Wisconsin Territory, land which was acquired from the Sac and Fox Indians during the Black Hawk Purchase of 1832. It wasn’t until 1840 that this area was made available for homesteaders to inhabit. Thus Lilienthal became its first town – named after the family of an early tavern and dance hall owner.
In 1903, the town with a population of 440 residents filed a request for incorporation, and proposed to change the town’s name to Bettendorf. The proposed name change was made in honor of the Bettendorf brothers, who played a significant role in the early development of the city by establishing an important factory in the area.
The Population and Demographics in Bettendorf, IA:
According to the latest census, Bettendorf is the 15th largest city in Iowa. It has an estimated population of 39,327 and is home to a diverse population of residents from different backgrounds. Of these residents, approximately:
- White: 86.21%.
- Asian: 6.4%.
- Two or more races: 5.1%.
- Black or African American: 1.9%.
- Hispanic or Latino: 4.6%
- Native Hawaiian or Pacific Islander: 0%.
Bettendorf, Iowa, has various wonderful neighborhoods to explore, such as Edgewood District, Stensvad District, and Alcoa District, including the Illinois side. Additionally, Bettendorf, IA, has a summer month that can reach an average high of 85 degrees, while the winter months are forecasted to hit a low of 15. 37 inches of rain and 28 inches of snowfall annually – a perfect balance for those who desire year-round weather variety.
Job Market and Economy Compared to the National Average
Bettendorf, IA, has a healthy job market and economy compared to the national average. The city’s unemployment rate is much lower than the national average. This indicates that there are plenty of jobs available for those looking in the area. In addition, the median household income for Bettendorf is $89,375, which is higher than the national average of $70,784.
The cost of living in Bettendorf is 88.5% of the U.S. average, which means it is slightly more affordable than other cities. This can be attributed to several factors, including lower taxes, but also due to wages being higher than the national median home price.
Additionally, the area has many major industries, including healthcare, manufacturing, real estate market, and retail, like, Genesis Health System, Hy-Vee, and UnityPoint Health. This provides job opportunities for those looking to make their home in Bettendorf.
Job Prospects and Opportunities in the Area:
- Real Estate Sales Agent.
- Finance and accounting professionals (accountants, financial analysts).
- Healthcare professionals (nurses, doctors, therapists).
- Retail associates (cashiers, sales representatives)
- Insurance Agent.
- Project Manager – Public Works.
- Rolling Process Improvement Engineer.
- Information technology professionals (developers, network administrators)
- Teachers and education professionals..
- Entry Level Insurance Sales Agent.
- Data Center Account Executive.
- Skilled tradespeople (electricians, plumbers, construction workers).
These are just a few job opportunities in Bettendorf, Iowa. With its strong economy and diverse job market, Bettendorf is ideal for those looking to make their homes.
Education and Schools
Bettendorf, Iowa, is known for its excellent school system. It has been consistently ranked among the top 10 in Iowa for K-12 education excellence. Bettendorf Community School District provides educational services to an estimated 4,600 students, offering a range of academic programs. The district’s facilities consist of one high school that serves students in grades 9-12, an alternative high school program which is shared with neighboring districts, one middle school for students in grades 6-8, as well as five elementary schools that cater to prekindergarten through grade 5 students.
The schools offer a comprehensive curriculum with numerous advanced placement classes and college-level courses to help students prepare for the future. In addition, they also have outstanding extracurricular activities and athletics programs.
Some of The Best Schools in Bettendorf, IA:
- Bettendorf High School.
- Edison Academy.
- Bettendorf Middle School.
- Grant Wood Elementary.
- Mark Twain Elementaryl.
- Herbert Hoover Elementary School.
- Paul Norton Elementary School.
- Pleasant Valley High School.
- Riverdale Heights Elementary School.
- Lourdes Catholic School.
- Rivermont Collegiate.
These colleges and universities are great resources for furthering education and career development for most people here.
With all the educational opportunities available in Bettendorf, it’s no wonder that many families choose to call it home.
Healthcare and Medical Facilities
Bettendorf offers various healthcare services, including primary care physicians and specialists, urgent care clinics, hospitals, and pharmacies. Here are the popular medical facilities in the city:
- Genesis Medical Center.
- Genesis Health Group.
- UnityPoint Clinic Express Care.
- Bettendorf Healthcare Center
- Lice Clinic.
In addition, Bettendorf, IA has multiple medical centers that specialize in providing services for specific health conditions and diseases. This makes Bettendorf an excellent destination for people seeking high-quality medical care. The city boasts top-notch hospitals, specialty centers, and even free health clinics, ensuring that residents and visitors have access to a wide range of medical services.
Things to Do and See in Bettendorf in the quad cities area
Bettendorf, Iowa, is a great place to explore the quad cities area. With plenty of attractions and activities for all ages, Bettendorf will charm any visitor.
Here are some of the top things to do and see in Bettendorf:
- Stroll through the Village of East Davenport – This historical district is home to over 30 specialty shops, restaurants, and galleries. Visitors can also take a walking tour of the area to learn about its past.
- Visit the Quad City Botanical Center – The Center features beautiful gardens, a conservatory, a children’s garden, a sculpture garden, and an outdoor amphitheater.
- Explore the city’s parks – Bettendorf boasts several parks and outdoor spaces, including LeClaire Park, Duck Creek Parkway, and Middle Park.
- Go fishing at Credit Island – Take advantage of this picturesque spot on the Mississippi River to go fishing or relax in the sun with a picnic.
- Check out nearby attractions – The area also offers plenty of nearby attractions, including the Figge Art Museum in Davenport and John Deere Commons in Moline.
No matter what type of activities you are looking for, Bettendorf will surely offer something fun that appeals to everyone.
Transportation and Commuting
Bettendorf, Iowa, is a city with plenty of options for transportation. Getting around Bettendorf is easy, fun, and convenient whether you plan to stay in the area or travel to nearby cities and towns.
- Public Transit: Bettendorf Transit offers safe, accessible, and economical transportation with three fixed routes and a fleet of five 21- passenger vehicles, all equipped with wheelchair lifts and bicycle racks. The transit system serves all residents, including those with disabilities.
- Driving: Multiple highways and streets run through Bettendorf, making driving to nearby towns and cities easy. Interstate 80 is the main highway that runs through the city.
- Cycling: Bettendorf is relatively safe and easy to traverse by bicycle. The city has numerous bike lanes and sidewalks, allowing cyclists to get around without worry.
- Walking: There are plenty of sidewalks throughout the city for those who prefer to get around on foot. The city is easy to navigate by walking, and there are plenty of attractions that are within walking distance from one another.
No matter your transportation mode, getting around Bettendorf is easy and convenient.
Tips for Moving to Bettendorf
Maintain peace of mind and hire a professional mover to handle all aspects of your relocation. As you start planning for your move, here are a few tips to ensure everything goes smoothly:
- Get Organized: Start by making packing lists and budgeting for moving expenses.
- Do Your Research: Compare moving companies to get the best deal possible.
- Start Early: Wait to leave something until the last minute! Aim to start packing a few weeks before the move.
- Get Help: Moving can be stressful and exhausting, so don’t hesitate to ask for help from friends, family, or a moving company.
Moving can be a hassle, but with the right preparation and research, you can ensure a successful transition to your new home right in Bettendorf.
Bettendorf is a great place to live and work! It offers a vibrant culture, excellent public schools, and abundant job opportunities. Residents enjoy access to many parks, trails, restaurants, shops, and recreational activities. The big city also boasts one of Iowa’s top-rated hospitals.
Whether you want to start a business, raise a family, or enjoy life in the Midwest, Bettendorf is an ideal destination. Its stunning natural beauty and proximity to major cities make it an attractive choice for those seeking the best of both worlds. Thanks for reading!